Saturday, March 17, 2007

"That's how the light gets in"

I am beginning to understand just how important it was for the Democrats to take over both houses of Congress. For the last few weeks I have been watching various hearings in both houses and realizing how great it feels to hear the truth coming out into the light. It reminds me of a line from the great Leonard Cohen song "Anthem:"

"There is a crack, a crack, in everything; that's how the light gets in."

That in turn got me thinking that before January 2007 it was like a situation where a guy would come by and take a big dump on my front porch every night. I'd report it to the police and they would say there was nothing they could do about it. I would have witnesses who would tell me who did it, but I was prevented from bringing those people forward to tell the truth. I would complain directly to the perpetrator but he would just laugh and say "prove it," or he would deny it with a smirk. Short of killing the guy (I'm a pacifist, not an assassin) there was literally nothing I could do except clean up the crap off my front porch every day.

Then things changed. All my neighbors banded together and staked out my front porch and took pictures of the guy with his pants down and circulated them on the internet. The cops then suddenly got interested, as well as the DA's office. The truth came out completely and suddenly there was no longer any crap on my front porch. Of course the bad guy is still out there, but at least he's not crapping on my front porch.

~ tom

2 comments:

Lally said...

Shit man, (not literally) that post should be on the op ed pages of all the major papers, or on all the major blogs etc. You summarized the situation succinctly and made me laugh too. Nice.

Anonymous said...

Said that other wise Irishman, Oscar Wilde: "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."