Thursday, July 23, 2015

Quanah Parker - a cool dude


I have been meaning to write a post about Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche chief.  I learned much about him when I read "Empire of the Summer Moon:"  I am still wondering why no one has made a movie about his life.  Early in his life he was literally scalping settlers and buffalo hunters and years later he was a respected pillar of the community and rode in a parade with Teddy Roosevelt.



Read about him here.

Today I ran across his epitaph.  All my poet friends should eat their hearts out.

Resting Here Until Day Breaks
And Shadows Fall and Darkness
Disappears is Quanah Parker
Last Chief of the Comanche
Born – 1852
Died Feb. 23, 1911
The epitaph of Quanah Parker
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glint in snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush.
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Ai!

No comments: