Sunday, August 11, 2013

Orphan Black

Television is just getting too good these days.  There are so many fine shows that I barely have time to watch them all.  Some of my favorites these days, in no particular order, are: 

  • Ray Donovan
  • The Bridge
  • Orange is the New Black (Netflix production)
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • House of Cards (Netflix production)
  • Homeland
  • Game of Thrones
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Borgias (sadly, not renewed)
  • Justified
  • Mad Men
  • The Good Wife
  • Elementary (gotta get my Lucy Liu)
  • Shameless (gotta get my Emmy Rossum)
  • Girls

There are probably several more I’m forgetting, but that is a pretty formidable list.  (I just recorded the first episode of “Broadchurch” but have not watched it yet). 

But, I still haven’t mentioned the shiny new toy I’ve discovered:  “Orphan Black.”  This show is some of the best TV I’ve seen lately.  I guarantee that if you watch the first episode you will be hopelessly hooked.  The show is a Canadian production under the BBC umbrella.  It stars Tatiana Maslany who is simply arresting, playing  6 different characters, all with different accents and looks.  Through the magic of today’s special effects, several of these characters are on screen at the same time, which makes the experience even more intense and believable.  As several publications have noted, the Emmy’s snub of Maslany is downright criminal.  Anyway, check out the show’s website here.  The entire first season is “in the can.”  I’m watching it through Comcast “On Demand,” BBC.  I’’m five episode in and am already dreading the season’s end at episode 10.  But thankfully there is going to be a season 2, starting spring 2014.  Note:  season 1 has been released on DVD and Blu-Ray. Take my word for it, this is a fabulous show.  Do not miss it.

No comments: