Friday, December 7, 2012

The Platters will endure forever!

My whole life tunes have been running through my head.  They come unbidden, and often are very strange and unlikely.  For instance a few days ago the theme song from “Tammy and the Bachelor” started playing in the old skull.  You remember:
“I hear the cottonwoods whispering above, Tammy, Tammy, Tammy’s in love…” and so on.  I think that was Patty Page or Doris Day, but I could be wrong.
This morning for the usual unknown off-the-wall reason, “The Great Pretender” by The Platters slid into the jukebox and away I went.  This led me to remember that I pretty much remembered most of The Platters’ songs word-by-word even today.  So I jumped on to my Rhapsody account and started playing the 21 track album simply titled, “The Platters:”  Just some of the juicy stuff? “ The Great Pretender, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, The Magic Touch, My Prayer, Twilight Time, Unchained Melody” – you remember, right?!  Well I left one of my favorites out just so that I could let you play it yourself and then be smiling for the rest of the day.  After all, in the end it all comes down to you, and “Only You

2 comments:

Lally said...

Totally relate. And have you ever had the experience of having a tune in your head and getting into your car and starting it and it's playing on the radio? That doesn't happen so much anymore because of the changes in radio, but when I was younger it seemed to happen a lot. I had the cover from a little two 45 "album" of the Platters early hits tacked over my bed as a kid just hitting my teens when they came on the scene. And by the way, I thought it was Debbie Reynolds singing that song. When I met her late in life I told her how I'd fallen in love with her "Tammy" and she just gave me one of those ready for the camera sparkly eyed smiles that said "I know honey, I know." !

AlamedaTom said...

Ah, Debbie Reynolds. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks.