Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Voter suppression … ugly repercussions

Okay, I’m back on my obsession with voter suppression.  (Hey, that’s a catchy rhyme!)  A part the whole analysis that is often overlooked is what would happen if Romney squeaked out a win “by a margin smaller than the number of young and minority voters who couldn’t cast ballots because the photo-identification laws enacted by Republican governors and legislators kept them from the polls.”  The foregoing quoted portion comes from Harold Meyerson’s column in today’s WaPo, which you can read here.

My own belief is that it will be just as ugly as Harold predicts, only worse.  I’m not envisioning riots and blood in the streets …… yet.  But it will be four years of a president even less legitimate than George W. Bush, and God help us if we lose the Senate.  And, of course there would be at least one more right wing justice  appointed to the Supreme Court because Ginsberg is not going to last another 4 years.  I’m too old now to pull up stakes and move to Canada, but if the above scenario came to pass and I were still in my 20’s or 30’s I would seriously consider it. 

2 comments:

JIm said...

More silliness. The economic stagnation will determine the outcome.

Lally said...

I hear you Tom.