Saturday, April 21, 2012

A sunny day at Squaw Valley

We came up to our place at Tahoe/Donner on Thursday evening and went skiing at Squaw Valley on Friday and today.  As you may have heard, we had zero snow this year all the way through February, which meant no skiing.  We finally got some pretty good storms in March and the first part of April and thus were able to get in a few days.

As for the present,  there is still quite a bit of snow left, but it is getting so warm and sunny that it turns to mush at about noon.  Skiing in that stuff is not really that fun.  Nevertheless, we got in some really nice runs between 9 & 11:30.  Here are some photos I took today.  [click to blow up]

DSC01747

This is the venerable Siberia chair, which takes you all the way up to the top of Siberia Ridge.  It makes for a long , fun run down to the lift, with a pretty steep face to start out. (You can’t see the actual run in this shot).

DSC01755

The famous KT-22.  You can’t see the west face from this shot, but it has some really scary steeps that I have never even thought about trying, and never will.  What you can see here is what they call the “KT saddle,” which is a favorite of mine.  That run starts at the opening on the top right third of this photo and terminates into the “Mountain Run.”  I was standing on the Mountain Run when I took this shot.

DSC01752

Well, I couldn’t resist.  These are my skis and poles and I’m wearing the skis with the poles leaning on my belly.

1 comment:

JIm said...

Looks like fun. We had good snow in February with plenty of powder time. It has been skimpy around here accept last Sunday. Resorts are closing but Arapahoe Basin, where I have my season pass will stay open until June. It helps to have the base at 10,000 ft.