Thursday, March 10, 2011

Huge kudos for “The Adjustment Bureau”

It is storming and very, very windy today in the Tahoe region.  The ski resorts were all either closed or on “wind hold” so we went to Reno to catch the 11:30 am showing of “The Adjustment Bureau,” projected digitally. 

This the best movie I have seen in a while.  In my mind everything about it is perfect. 

  • Cast:  Not even one miscast actor.  The leads, Matt Damon and Emily Blunt have some of the best screen chemistry I’ve seen.  The main Adjustment Bureau cats are perfect and include the great John Slattery from “Mad Men” and the incomparable Terence Stamp – also an actor I’m not familiar with, Anthony Mackie who plays “Henry.”
  • Love story:  Every review I have read notes that this is one of the best love stories to come along in a while.  I heartily agree.  I admit I was tearing up in places and my wife gave me a squeeze and a kiss on the cheek at one point.
  • Script:  Snappy and intelligent.  Best of all is that unlike a lot of sci-fi stories, they did not bog down the plot with “talking head exposition.”  Instead they worked the exposition into the plot a little at a time so that you hardly noticed it, but on the other hand you don’t leave the theater saying to yourself, “what was that all about?”
  • Production:  Top of the line direction, cinematography, and design.  Digital projection was an added plus.
  • Music:  Original music by Thomas Newman who also did the music for Wall-E, Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty and tons of other films and TV shows.  The music is very effective in this movie as you will see.
  • Story:  Hey, it’s Philip K. Dick, need I say more.  You will be on the edge of your seat a lot of the time wondering what comes next and savoring it when it comes.

Tom says five out of five stars.  Go see it.

4 comments:

Ivan | Segunda Mano said...

The first thing I can say is that The Adjustemente Bureau is a rare film. It starts as a thriller about an aspiring U.S. senator, only to be a courageous commitment to science fiction, when in reality it is a love story. A fantastic modern reissue requited love, but impossible to divine.
When production starts to become a science fiction story is a bit messy and a bit mislead some characters, but once you become more or less with the leitmotif of the hat brigade, tension arises an intense thriller.
The final resolution is a little bluff, a little fairy tale, a little Disney

Enrique - Piscinas Prefabricadas said...

To my truth it is that the movie I get hooked up in a beginning, me parecio a very good idea to take her to the cinema, but ultimately I still have me expensive of idiot. Not entendi since they could cut this way the history, without feet or head.

Arpiplan said...

An entertaining, unforseeable movie but something dense ultimately. It finishes almost without time, they do not give many answers.

Lisa | animaladas.net said...

The movie leaves many questions without response. It is something rare. I did not like it