Friday, June 5, 2009

Life, death, and history...

I just pulled June 4 off my desktop History Channel daily calendar to reveal June 5: "1968: Bobby Kennedy Assassinated."

After reading the blurb, I started thinking about how the world and history would have been very different had Bobby lived and gone on to win the 1968 election.

That immediately twanged my brain to think of more immediate history. What if Al Gore had won the presidency in 2000? (He actually did, but that's another story).

I'll leave it to all of you to think about each situation, but suffice it to say that our world would be far different.

But the upshot of all of this is the clear, undeniable fact that a single person wielding the levers of power can truly change the course of history.

~ tom

1 comment:

Lally said...

No doubt. Which is all the more reason to be grateful for the choice most recently made by us and other voters.