Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Random TV thoughts

We're back from the best motorcycle trip yet. More on that in a future post, with some pictures.

Some TV thoughts:

Big Love: I just watched the penultimate episode of "Big Love" yesterday and I was so blown away I have to plug it again for everyone. This season has been even better than the wonderful first season, but the most recent episode was deep, wrenching, exciting, poignant, and often funny as hell. And, introducing the great Ellen Burstyn as Barbara's mother was like a giant cherry on top of the worlds greatest sundae! I am counting the days until the final episode. If you haven't seen this show, do yourself a favor and rent/buy the first season and then get season two as soon as it comes out.

The Closer: Eileen's favorite show. I really like it too. Kyra Sedgwick is such a good actor, and the cast is top notch. The writing is sharp, and the plots often twisty.

Damages: One of my favorite shows now. After I believe 4 episodes I'm hopelessly hooked. Fabulous intricate plot lines with believable but totally shocking surprises, and a kick-ass cast including Ted Danson playing the bad guy to perfection. But the show triumphs on the shoulders of Glenn Close, who I can only describe as astonishing, and almost as much of a "bad guy" as Ted. If you don't have TIVO or some way to record the show so that you can skip the commercials, wait until it comes out on DVD later.

John from Cincy: I know I raved about this show a while back, but in the end, it disappointed me. I hung in there for all the episodes, but in the end I was wallowing around with the rest of the characters trying to figure out what the hell was going on, and why.

Rescue Me: Another favorite of Eileen and me. Sure, it has its flaws, but it's got heart, good writing, characters to care about, and Denis Leary trying to be a "Friend of Bill."

The 4400: Eileen and I part ways on this one -- she's not a fan. I've seen every episode from day one and I love the show. It's the sci-fi geek in me, I guess. Differt strokes, right?

Saving Grace: The jury is still out on this one. I like Holly Hunter a lot, but the show doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Also, it's uncomfortably similar to that show (the name escapes me now) where Amber Tamblin talked with God, who appeared in various human forms.

Weeds: Hilarious.

~ Tom

4 comments:

Jesse Wilson said...

Hey Dad,
I like your comments on the shows. I talked to people at work about John from Cincy and they seemed to say the same thing as you in that it was just all over the place in the end. I know that our President (Jeff Bewkes) was not happy about the show either, so maybe thats why it got pulled after one season.

But I also like Rescue Me a lot as well. Big Love is great too. I have watched a few episodes and enjoyed them. I want to watch it from the beginning.

I have a couple of editions to your list: Mad Men and Flight of the Conchords. I think that you would really like Mad Men. Its a new show on AMC about Advertising professionals in NYC in 1960. The acting is superb and the sets are captivating. I really feel like I am taken back to another time watching the show. I really want you to check it out. I think it is on AMC On Demand.

Flight of the Conchords (comes on after Entourage) cracks me up everytime. Very witty comedy.

Jesse

Lally said...

Hey man, I totally agree about BIG LOVE, and even before the addition of Ellen B. it has one of the greatest casts ever assembled on a TV show, including the teenagers (I sure hope they don't off Harry Dean's character).

I also enjoy ENTOURAGE, but then, I lived between the cracks of that Hollywood scene for almost twenty years. It captures pretty well a lot of what I saw and experienced.

JOHN FROM C. got away from David Milch, unfortunately. A little like TWIN PEAKS did for David Lynch (maybe they both share something with their namesake king).

I've got to check out the others you and Jesse mention, thanks for the tips.

AlamedaTom said...

Great input from you two. I forgot about Entourage, which we watch all the time. Dillon's character reminds me a lot of his big brother's character in "Something About Mary."

I too hope they keep Harry Dean alive, but it looks pretty grim for him right now, right?

I'll check out Mad Men and Conchords.

Anonymous said...

Add Californication on Showtime to the list. Very fast and funny. David Duchovny is great as the writer with writer's block in LA. And Natasha McElhone as his ex-girlfriend love interest, mother of his pre-teen daughter is the sexiest thing on TV.

tom