Friday, June 22, 2007

I'm a sucker for Big Love

One of the great rewards in life is taking some time to take a risk to try something that you think you are not going to enjoy.

Example: "Big Love" on HBO. When the series premiered, I read about it and thought, "Mormons, polygamy, Utah", wha? But because it was an HBO creation (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood) and because of reviews from reviewers I trusted I started from episode 1 and have not missed one since.

I won't even try to explain how great this series is, but suffice it to say, it is character-driven, with a kick-ass plot. For you insiders, Jeanne Tripplehorn (Barbara) is so damn sexy that I can see why Bill Paxton (Bill) sneaked away to "have an affair with his own wife" last season. I absolutely love every character on this show, even the ones you love to hate (Roman, played with creepy effectiveness by the great Harry Dean Stanton) to the ones that constantly exasperate you (Nicolette, played so-so well by Chloƫ Sevigny), to the ones that just make you want to take them home with you (Margene, played by the little heart-breaker Ginnifer Goodwin).

After the season-ending episode last year where the family is outed when Barbara is about to receive the "Mother of the Year" award at the Governor's mansion, I really wondered how they were going to get further mileage out of the series concept. Not to worry. The first two episodes of the new season just riveted me, and were even better than last year as the writers obviously begin to truly inhabit the souls of their charges.

Another example of my " take a risk to try something that you think you are not going to enjoy" was Showtime's "Queer as Folk," which I consider one of THE best TV series ever made. I'm not gay, but I got so involved with all the characters and the wonderful writing that it didn't make any difference to me. Also, the series-ending episode was probably the best "ender" I've ever seen, with the "ender" of Six Feet Under" running a close second. Sorry Chase, but the "cut to black" ending, while interesting doesn't come close to Brian standing in the ruins of Babylon while the "beat goes on in his head" or Claire, driving into the future with Sia's great song "Breathe Me" played in its entirety.

Well, it's time to sign off and dream about Jeanne Tripplehorn.

~ Tom

3 comments:

Lally said...

Me too bro. I've been raving about BIG LOVE to everyone since episode one, and on my blog here and there as well, especially the acting, it's seamless. I thought the attraction was just mine because I've been hooked to women who have more than one personality so that at times I felt like I was practicing polygamy myself, admitedly a little turned on by the prospect of not knowing which personality I was going to wake up next to, for awhile. Anyway... guess it isn't just me.

Jesse Wilson said...

Dad/Lal,

I bookmarked both of your sites and have been catching up on your posts. Cool stuff. I am thinking about making a blog as well.

I actually couldn't get into Big Love. I watched a few episodes and then lost track. Did you know the blond (2nd wife) on the show has had no acting experience at all? This is basically her first gig I think. Amazing.

I actually don't have any shows going, except for Entourage. Did you watch the Flight of the Conchords? I taped it, but haven't watched it yet.

Lally, do you know Rutger Hauer? I can't remember if my Dad said you knew him or not. I saw Blade Runner the other night. First time in a long time. I love him in that. His monologue at the end is great. "I have seen attack ships on fire off the shores of Orion" - good stuff.

I'm still working on the acting. It has almost been a year now. Doing a small Shakesphere production and playing Horatio in Hamlet. Got some headshots too. It's a start..

Anonymous said...

Love two things about your article, Tom: 1) you're right on with your comments about Jeanne Tripplehorn. She's got it. The idea of having an affair with your wife was brilliant. 2) That your kid wrote such a cool and somewhat personal comment.

And having already read ahead to your next post, I agree that Hillary ain't the best choice. A friend said, and I agree with him, that John Edwards is starting to resonate. He's got a good tag line: "Find something to be patriotic about besides war." Of course, the Republican retort will be: he doesn't support the troops. I'm thinking that ol' saw is too dull now to have much effect.

Tom