Friday, November 24, 2006

Why can't we find another FDR?

The other day, I was listening to Thom Hartman on the Air America affiliate here in the Bay Area. He played an audio archive of FDR's acceptance speech given to the Democratic convention in June 1936. FDR goes off on what he terms "economic royalists," taking them to task on every level. I cannot imagine a sitting President of today giving anything remotely resembling this speech.

Here is a full transcript of the speech.

Every American should read this speech.

I'm currently trying to find a link to the actual audio somewhere on the Net. If anyone knows where one can be found, please leave a comment.

2 comments:

Lally said...

Hey man, this is a really great blog. I wish I could be as succinct on mine! Thanks for the plug, but I have to tell the world that you have always been a master of many trades. Since I first met you, when you were an undergraduate college student, you've been terrific at all you attempt, from blues harp and folk guitar to photography and dj'ing, or from helping those in need to helping your friends, you have proven you got the chops and the heart. But I appreciate your humility. As I do FDR's speech. And HUD. Lally

AlamedaTom said...

Aw shucks Lal. I'm just glad we both made it this far. We've lost many dear friends along the way.